Monday, March 12, 2012

Twenty-Five Rules for Mothers of Sons

There are days when I wonder why God trusted me to be a Mama, but then something like Team Studer's Twenty-Five Rules for Mothers of Sons renews my waivering faith. I don't recall how I stumbled upon the article, but it was just too sweet not to share! And mothers to daughters, don't despair; I think several items on the list are gender neutral nuggets that Mamas everywhere can impart upon their kiddos.

After reading through the 'rules', I'm proud to say that I've mastered a few...like #2 ("Be a cheerleader for his life"). It might be drinking from a glass without spills, the way he poops on his 'big-boy' potty or when he repeats something we have practiced over and over...and OVER. I act like it's the biggest, best part of my day (because, well, it is!).

I plan to be better at #8 ("Be an example of a beautiful woman with brains, determination, and integrity") and definitely keep working on #9 ("Teach him to have manners"). No, you really can't start too young. In terms of impact, I'm inclined to think that 'please' and 'thank you' rank right up there with 'I'm sorry' and 'I love you'. He will know the time and place for all of these and use them without hesitation.

Oh, how I kiss him (#24)! I like to think all the smooches I dole out after work will make up for those I missed during the day...I can never have enough of the 'whole-side-of-my-face-is-wet' kisses he so generously gives.

I'm excited for #23 ("Take him to new places") because I remember how much traveling positively changed my perspective on life.  I want him to have an overwhelming flood of memories from all the adventures we shared...so many that it's impossible to pick out his favorite.

And I hope that no matter how far away he goes, a phone call or a note or a visit will give him the feeling that he is home (#25-"Be home base").

You know what I just realized about my aspirations? Everything I want to be good at also happens to be everything I watched my mother so effortlessly do for me (and my sister and brother). She has always been affectionate, no matter our age. She has always been my cheerleader (track meets, band concerts and dance competitions galore). She, along with my Dad, taught us all the importance of manners and that being intelligent, determined and ethical is something to be proud of because few people have all of those qualities.

Even though she couldn't go with me on my many travels, she was behind the scenes to offer words of encouragment. It seemed as if my experiencing the world was good enough for the both of us. And most importantly, she is still my "home base", even at the ripe old age of 32. The one I share good news with, and the not so good. The one I call when life hands me a mini-emergency (How do I fix lumpy mashed potatoes? I just flooded the house; what do I do?!).

I realize now more than ever that I have some pretty big shoes to fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment