Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Jackpot!

So I came home to a suspiciously pristine white envelope addressed to me from New Mexico Magazine a few days back. I figured it was just a clever ploy to get a few gift subscriptions, but secretly HOPED maybe it would be a nice congratulatory letter saying, "We published some of your work!" If you recall from a previous post, I threw caution to the wind and submitted photos for a few upcoming contests. After all, you can't win if you don't play, right?

I feel like I won the proverbial jackpot! If you flip to page 33 in the February 2012 issue of New Mexico Magazine, you'll see MY photo, 'Tres Hermanas' listed under Honorable Mention in the Sense of Place category. It's slide 18 of 37 to be exact and yes, I'm proud all right? I'm usually not one to toot my own horn, but since one of my goals for 2012 was to get some photography work published, I can't help it! This little girlie is glowing like a nighttime"vacancy" sign outside a dodgy motel! Now that I've collected my giddy self, on to the crux of the matter.

This little victory summoned a story from one of my favorite books and I recalled how a cherished pastor used it to remind me that God blesses everyone with talents. He gives us everything we need and then some, but only we can rid ourselves of the fear and self doubt that too often prevent us from pursuing our dreams. P.S. Those dreams are usually just your God-given talents in clever disguise! :)

Here's to using YOUR talents in 2012!

"Tres Hermanas"

No comments:

Post a Comment